Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Starting The Year Right - Community

My first experience of community service was at the age of 10 when I had to stay after school and do garbage duty as penance for stealing a chocolate easter bunny from another kid.  Of course the orange vest I had to wear wasn't as cool as Naomi's, but getting to use the sweet tongs to pick up the trash (read: pinch people) made it bearable.  

Fortunately my understanding of community has been rehabilitated, and I've come to realize the benefits of interacting with it in ways that don't involve taking candy from children.  A community is essentially a group of interacting organisms sharing a populated environment.  I like this definition as it encompasses the interpersonal aspect, as well as the environmental one.  Our intentions, beliefs, resources, preferences, and needs all contribute to the identity of those in the community and the degree of cohesiveness that they experience.

So lets turn our attention to how we relate to our community.  
1.  How important is citizenship/community life to you?  (0 - not important, 1 - moderately so, or 2 - very important)
2.  How satisfied am I with my community experience? (0 - not satisfied, 1 - moderately so, or 2 - very satisfied)
3.  Intentions.  To get you going...  What can I do to make the world a better place?  Are community activities such as volunteering, recycling, etc important to you?  Why?  What do I care about in the environment or nature (e.g., being outdoors, gardening, hiking, camping, communing with nature)?
4.  What are some barriers to getting involved in ways that are meaningful to me?

Tune in tomorrow for our final topic in this series,

B


No comments:

Post a Comment