Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Starting The Year Right - Parenting

This topic is a bit of a spin-off from the previous one of "family", but since the partent-child relationship is such a formative one, it merits it's own consideration.  Also, as a recent inductee into parenthood myself, this one is of particular relevance to me.  

Even for those currently without progeny, it's still a worthwhile endeavour to consider whether or not parenting is something that you'd want for yourself in the future.  Remember, the purpose of these blog entries is to help us ensure our actions and decisions are in line with what we value.  The first step in this is to find out what's important to us.  Don't pull a Vader and wait until your final moments to start to be the parent you wanted to be all along.  Sure he had a good run ruling the galaxy, but in the end all that got him was killed.


It's time to rate.  This time around, I've added a 4th question, so be ready.


1.  How important is parenting?  (0 - not important, 1 - moderately, 2 - very)
2.  How satisfied am I with my parenting? (0 - not satisfied, 1 - moderately, 2 - very)
3.  Set some intentions.  What type of parent do I want to be?  How do I want to interact with my children?
4.  What are some obstacles to realizing these intentions?

Keep up the good work people,


B

No comments:

Post a Comment